Working with us

We are constantly hiring! If you are a student/PhD student/Postdoc, please inquiry for a position in our projects by sending your scientific CV to

Below there are a few tips about living and working in Warsaw.

Plan your stay

Prior to arrival to Warsaw

The central HR  office of the University needs to collect all the required papers in order to be  able to sign a contract. You will receive necessary information and  instructions from our faculty HR officer ( Contact them and follow their instructions.

This is your checklist that should be completed 2 weeks before signing a contract:

  1. Fill in the questionnaire with your personal data. You will receive it via  email from our faculty HR officer. After completing the questionnaire,  please email it back.
  2. Send a scan or copy of your ID or passport, together with a proof  of degree (PhD, MD or equivalent). This will speed up the process and  make it easier to hire you.
  3. Bring original documents:
    • ID;
    • Proof of degree;
    • Previous job certificate (if applicable). You will get additional  1% of salary for each year of employment.
    • One headshot photo for the file.
    • If you do not want to pay taxes in Poland and you plan on  staying less than 180 days, a certificate of your tax residence  will be required.

Before starting work

We recommend that you come to Warsaw at least 1-2 weeks before you start working at the faculty. 

Typically, you will be asked to check in personally on arrival at the faculty  HR office (Banacha 2 str., 1st floor, room 2260).

This is a checklist that should be completed during your first days in Poland:

  1. Apply for a PESEL number

PESEL (Polish: Powszechny Elektroniczny System Ewidencji Ludności,  Universal Electronic System for Registration of the Population) is the  national identification number in Poland.

Since 2018 every foreigner in Poland should have PESEL number and is  obliged to register his/her address at the appropriate district office (where  s/he lives). The registration procedure already includes assigning unique  PESEL number to a person, so technically every international student and  worker in Poland should have a PESEL. Obviously, not everyone has it, but,  if you consider staying in Poland for a longer period, you should think about  going through the whole procedure.

Log in to USOSweb

To log in to the system, a PESEL number and a password must be provided  as an ID. Foreigners give an ?artificial? PESEL instead of the real PESEL  number. This is created automatically after entering personal data into the system

2. Set up a bank account

Although you can use your card without any problems in Poland, it would  be more beneficial for you to create a Polish bank account. Using a foreign  account for your reimbursement will result in additional costs due to  currency conversion charges.

Opening a bank in Poland is easy and quick. You do not need to make any  appointments and the basic account is free of charge. You do, however, need to provide a bank with all the required documents.  To make the whole process easy and smooth it is best to call the bank  directly, explain your status (resident/non-resident) and ask about required  documents. Other useful questions are:

  • Is a PESEL number is required?
  • Is there an online banking system available in English?
  • Will all the branches have an English-speaking consultant?
  • What other banking services can you use?

The required documents may vary from bank to bank. That is why it is best  either to look for the information on their website or call the helpline.

Below you will find a list of the banks closest to the MIM UW. Many  postdocs open accounts there and have had positive experiences

  • Oddział Banku Millenium, ul. Grójecka 59/63
  • ING Bank Śląski, ul. Grójecka 81/87
  • PKO Bank Polski SA, ul. Grójecka 65a

3. Plan 1 day for an obligatory medical examination

Plan one day for an obligatory medical examination in the Medical Centre  on 10A Waryńskiego street or Krakowskie Przedmieście 24/26 (the doctors  and nurses speak English). Bring your ID (driving license, passport, etc.) to confirm your identity and  the referrals prepared by the Faculty staff. If you let us know the day of your arrival to Warsaw, we will be happy to  arrange a medical appointment for you.  After the medical examination you will be given a certificate which is required for your file. Please, bring it to the HR office.

4. Plan 1h for an obligatory occupational health and security training (OHS)

Before starting work at the University of Warsaw, you are required to  complete the occupational health and security training. The procedure is  very simple:

  • You receive the OHS training form your faculty representative.
  • You deliver the form to the OHS Inspectorate at 8 Oboźna Street,  room 1 (Main Campus) and have it stamped there (this has to be  completed before your 1st day of employment).
  • You deliver the form to the faculty, where you are employed and, after  the training, you receive a signature from the trainer, confirming that  you have completed the OHS training.
  • The stamped form should be  submitted along with the other documents to the Office for Human Resources.

5. Plan about 0,5h for signing all the application forms, statements,  regulations etc. so we can have your contract ready for you

6. Have your diplomas and certificates translated to Polish by  an approved translator

First week

University e-mail

You?ll get access to your university e-mail ( in a Lab Com, room 2260, on your first day of work. For business matters use this e-mail only. If you would like to have other alias, ask Lab Com Manager (Michał Bassa, room 3010, 2nd floor;

You can also create your own University of Warsaw e-mail account using Gmail to contact students and other employees. Step-by-step instructions are avaiable here.

IMPORTANT: Update your mailing address at faculty HR office to ensure that you will receive timely communications from faculty and central university offices.

Electronic Employee Card (ELP)

Every University of Warsaw employee can get an Electronic Employee Card, no matter his/her form of employment. With an Electronic Employee Card, you will be able to:

  • encode public transport card on it
  • pay for parking
  • use BUW (University library)
  • enter the University of Warsaw Botanic Garden
  • use University of Warsaw sport centers.

You can obtain an ELP at the secretary office of the relevant institute (room 4660, 3rd floor)

First Month

Domestic and international trips & conferences ? before you go on a business trip or buy anything out of the project money, it is important to contact the Research Suport Office (room 2110, 1st floor, Magdalena Szwaranowicz:

Review Social Benfits , financial aidinsurancesport and leisure options, family and children.

Medical insurance ? it is worth to consider additional medical insurance which gives you an access to private healthcare (LUX MED). For more details contact Marzena Górska, Kazimierzowski Palace, Krakowskie Przedmieście 24/26, room 1.

Here you can find Work Regulations for Employees of the University of Warsaw.

If you encounter any problem at the University, there are many units that can help you, for example:

If you need more information, check:

It always pays off to make an effort to learn some Polish while living in Poland. Feel invited to join Polonicum UW, Centre of Polish Language and Culture for Foreigners and make the most out of your stay in Poland. Find out more about polish language for foreigners.

We hope that this checklist provides a more structured overview of your early days with us. We?re happy to have you on board and you can always reach out to HR and any of your teammates if you have any questions.